The Sunflower, v.61, no.34 (February 22, 1957)

Loading...
Thumbnail Image
Authors
Issue Date
1957-02-22
Type
Newspaper
Archival material
Language
en_US
Keywords
College newspapers and periodicals , Wichita (Kan.) -- Newspapers , Student publications , Wichita State University -- History , Engineering College Research Council , Student Union building
Research Projects
Organizational Units
Journal Issue
Alternative Title
Abstract
Description
Images in this collection were made from commercially produced and digitized microfilm, may be of poor quality, and will be gradually replaced by copies digitized by Special Collections from original paper copies. Source material held by University Libraries Special Collections and University Archives; processed by the University Libraries Technical Services. Please contact Special Collections at specialcollections@wichita.edu directly for help with low quality images.
Article(s): Union drawings completed: 1959 completion date for activities center foreseen by builders -- New rules govern May Queen election -- Sunflower seeks coed Press Queen -- Washington correspondent Pearson to appear here Tuesday on forum -- Open house featured in Sunflower -- Mrs. [Mary Virginia] Docking to be speaker at AWS spring conference -- 'Razak Era' marks years of expansion -- Senior builds jet engine in basement / John Mattis -- KMUW plans new program -- Industrial arts club is formed -- Student receives teaching position -- Aero engineering gives students opportunities for training, experience / Vance Arbuckle -- WU named member of association -- Engineers do research work -- Freshman speaker wins oratory event -- Model Earth satellite to be on exhibition -- Greek group seminars to talk future plans -- Queen contest closes today -- Grace Wilkie Hall officers elected -- WU to meet Bulldogs in Fieldhouse game -- Army, Air ROTC cagers to meet in March 1 tilt -- Intramural cage teams organized
Photograph(s): A reality for 1959 is the Student Union Building pictured above. This drawing was made by Uel C. Ramey & Associates Architects. The proposed building will cover 76,600 square feet and will be constructed with reinforced concrete and brick exterior walls. Preliminary plans are now under study by federal authorities. Construction is expected to begin in January 1958 [illustration]. p. 1 -- Drew Pearson. p. 1 -- Guiding the growth of the School of Engineering since 1943, Dean Kenneth Razak has played a vital role in the development of engineering education on this campus. Dean Razak was in charge of re-activating [sic] engineering at the University. Under his guidance, the School of Engineering has greatly expanded its facilities and its enrollment. p. 2 -- Coordinating the engineering open house, which will be held today and tomorrow, will be the members of the Engineering Council. Shown making some preliminary plans for the annual event are, from left to right, Jim Shaffer, treasurer; Leonard Wright, secretary; Kenneth Harper, president; Gene Maxon, public relations officer; and Bill Keltner, vice president. p. 4 -- Making an analysis of test results in the University Engineering School's research department are, from left to right, Lyle Wiggins, Peter A. Sells, and Philip R. Brubaker. The three men are the only students employed in the research department. p. 5
Citation
The Sunflower: Official student newspaper, v.61, no.34, Wichita, Kansas, February 22, 1957. - 8 pages
Publisher
University of Wichita
License
Journal
Volume
Issue
PubMed ID
DOI
ISSN
EISSN
Collections