University of Wichita. Parnassus 1946. Wichita, Kan: Wichita State University, 2017
"In April of this year Fairmount College observed its fiftieth anniversary. On April 30, 1896, the Secretary of State for the state of Kansas issued a charter granting full college and university rights to the institution. Fairmount Institute had been founded in 1892 under the auspices of the Congregational church, but was not chartered by the state as Fairmount College until 1896. The first class in liberal arts was graduated in 1899. Reverend Nathan J. Morrison served as first president of the college from 1896-1906. On his death Rev. William H. Isely acted as president until the appointment of Rev. Henry E. Thayer, who served from 1907-1914. Dean Arthur J. Hoare was acting president for a few months until Rev. Walter H. Rollins was chosen to succeed Rev. Thayer. Frank A. Neff served as acting president between Rev. Thayer and Rev. John D. Finlayson who served from 1922-1927. Dean Neff again served as interim president until Dr. Harold W. Foght was appointed. This year also observes the twentieth anniversary of the Municipal University of Wichita. The University was created by referendum vote of the people of Wichita on April 24, 1926, and on June 2, 1926 the Board of Trustees of Fairmount College formally deeded the property to the city of Wichita. First Board of Regents chosen by the city commission, with the Wichita Board of Education to direct the affairs of the new University were Frank Nighswonger, mayor; Mrs. R. M. Gouldner, George Hamilton, Allen W. Hinkel, Dr. H. W. Horn, Charles E. Parr, Clyde M. Smyser, Otto R. Souders, and Rev. E. E. Stauffer. Presidents of the University have been Rev. John D. Finlayson, 1926-27; Dr. Harold W. Foght, 1927-33, and Dr. William M. Jardine, who has served since 1934 and this year began on March 1 his thirteenth year as president. Together the two institutions, Fairmount College and the Municipal University of Wichita, have completed fifty years of worthwhile work in the field of education. Two world wars have passed, and the need for thorough education has been amply illustrated. The University, now, in 1946, looks forward to continued success and leadership in the field of education."
Table of Content
Editorial staff: Reba Holloway, editor-in-chief; Bill Nelligan, business manager
Contents: Anniversary -- Faculty -- The Campus -- Seniors of 1946 -- Queen of Parnassus -- Student Council -- Student Forum -- University Band