|dc.description||In the 1930's, student dining, recreation facilities and an auditorium for drama, music, and convocations were all high on the list of space needs for the new Municiple University of Wichita. Federal funds provided under the Public Works Administration made possible construction of the Auditorium and Commons Building in 1938. It was later renamed Wilner Auditorium to honor George Wilner who joined Fairmount College as head of speech and theatre in 1923. Mr. Wilner retired from WU in 1960.
Although other stages are now available, the 553-seat Wilner Auditorium still serves as the main stage for theatre activities. Recreation and food service functions were moved from the building when the Campus Activities Center (now Rhatigan Student Center) opened in 1959.||